- Who is Protected by Fair Housing Laws? English | Español
- What Conduct is Prohibited by Fair Housing Laws? English | Español
- What is Race/Color Housing Discrimination? English | Español
- What is National Origin/Ethnicity Discrimination? English | Español
- What is Source of Income Discrimination? English | Español
- What is Religion-Based Housing Discrimination? English | Español
- What is Familial Status Housing Discrimination? English | Español
- What Are Reasonable Modification Requests in Housing Discrimination? English | Español
- What Are Reasonable Accommodation Requests in Housing Discrimination? English | Español
- Letters from Medical Providers to Support Tenants’ Reasonable Modifications/Accommodations Requests to Landlords English | Español
GUIDES, HANDBOOKS, BROCHURES
General Fair Housing
- Fair Housing Training Guidebook (2021)
A comprehensive guidebook designed for use in conjunction with FHJC-authorized fair housing trainings
- Fair Housing Guide (2019)
A resource for professionals who provide housing counseling, search assistance, and other services to people seeking to rent or purchase housing.
- Protected Characteristics Chart (2023)
Protected characteristics under federal, state, and local laws within FHJC’s service area
- Prohibited Conduct Chart (2021)
Actions, statements, and other conduct prohibited under fair housing laws.
- Fair Housing Toolkit (2018)
An educational tool that describes our nation’s history of segregation, current fair housing issues, and fair housing rights. The toolkit also identifies ways to become more involved in promoting fair housing. Available in English, Mandarin, and Spanish.
- Fair Housing and Advertising Fact Sheet (2018)
Definitions, explanations, and guidelines to ensure responsible, nondiscriminatory advertising for housing.
- Fair Housing Laws Factsheet (2019)
An overview of protected classes, prohibited conduct, and available remedies under fair housing laws.
Rental Search Aids
- FHJC Rental Search Log (2020) English | Español
A convenient way for renters to take notes about apartments that they inquire about.
- Tips for Home Seekers with Rental Subsidies (2020) English | Español
Advice on interacting with landlords and others when using program vouchers in rental payments.
Nursing Home/Assisted Living – Deaf and Hard of Hearing
- Guide to Auxiliary Aids and Services (2017)
A complete list of translation services, devices, and practices legally required to be provided for deaf and hard of hearing persons living in nursing homes or assisted living facilities. Produced in conjunction with the National Association for the Deaf.
- FHJC Brochure English | Español (2019)
An overview of FHJC’s mission, programs, activities, history, and impact.
- Fair Housing Justice Center: Fact Sheet (2016)
Frequently asked questions about the FHJC.
STATEMENTS, REPORTS, POLICY PAPERS
Statements, Reports, Policy Papers
- “Choice Constrained, Segregation Maintained: Using Federal Tax Credits to Provide Affordable Housing” (2013)
- “Fair Housing Cases Show Breadth of Discrimination Laws” (2013)
- “Racial Discrimination in Housing: Underestimated and Overlooked” (2013)
- “Creating Places Where All Are Welcome” (2012)
- “A Test of Our Fairness” (2009)
- No License to Discriminate: Real Estate Advertising, Source of Income Discrimination, and Homelessness in New York City (2008)
- Living in Mixed-Income Housing: Profiles and Future Directions (2008)
- Increasing Access to Low-Poverty Areas by Creating Mixed-Income Housing (2007)
- A Matter of Place
An award-winning documentary from the FHJC and Kavanaugh Productions that shines a bright light on present-day housing discrimination.
- America Divided: “A House Divided”
Legendary TV producer Norman Lear goes undercover to explore housing inequalities in New York City.
- Testing the Divide
The companion documentary to Newsday’s Long Island Divided, the most exhaustive report on housing discrimination ever undertaken by a media outlet.
- “≤” [Less Than or Equal To]
A collection of provocative monologues about housing discrimination, inspired by real life stories. Originally conceived as an Off-Broadway play, the script is available for free to theater groups, university and high school theater departments, faith-based organizations, fair housing groups, and other non-profit organizations interested in doing readings or full productions.
- Deaf Rights in Residential Treatment Centers
A short educational ASL video and two public service announcements that discuss the fair housing rights of deaf and hard of hearing persons in residential treatment facilities.
- A Home for Henry
Fair housing rights of deaf and hard of hearing populations in nursing homes and assisted living facilities are discussed in this short film about an elderly Deaf man residing in a nursing home.
Fair Housing Laws and Regulations
FEDERAL, NEW YORK STATE, AND NEW YORK CITY LAWS & REGULATIONS
Federal Fair Housing Laws & Regulations
NY State Human Rights Law and State Division of Human Rights Rules of Practice
NYC Human Rights Law and City Commission on Human Rights
HUD & DOJ STATEMENTS, RULES, AND GUIDELINES
- Code of Federal Regulations – Discriminatory Conduct
- HUD Discriminatory Effects (Disparate Impact) Rule
- HUD Guidance – Multijurisdictional Complaints
- Fair Housing Accessibility FIRST
An initiative designed to promote compliance with the Fair Housing Act design and construction requirements, offering comprehensive and detailed instruction programs, useful online web resources, and a toll-free information line for technical guidance and support.
- Breakdown of Federal Fair Housing Accessibility Laws
- FHA Accessibility Guidelines
- Accessibility Requirements – Covered Dwellings
- Supplement to Notice of Fair Housing Accessibility
- HUD Uniform Federal Accessibility Checklist
Reasonable Modification and Accommodation
Service and Assistance Animals
- HUD Fair Housing and Equal Opportunity Guidance on Assistance Animals
- HUD Guidance on Assessing Assistance Animal Requests as a Reasonable Accommodation
- Service and Assistance Animals in Housing and HUD-Funded Programs
Source of Income (Subsidies/Vouchers)
Sexual Orientation and Gender
Government Enforcement Agencies
- United States Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) – New York Regional Office
- United States Department of Justice Housing & Civil Enforcement Section
New York State
New York City
- Commission on Human Rights (NYCCHR)